Light gauge steel construction, also known as cold-formed steel construction or LGSC, is a modern construction method that involves using thin, lightweight steel sections to create various structural and non-structural elements in buildings. Al Manaratain introduced light gauge steel construction to Bahrain in 2019 after more and more customers came to us expressing the need for a quick, clean, and efficient construction method. Since its introduction, we’ve used light gauge steel in numerous construction projects across the island, from modular homes and building extensions to agricultural structures and industrial buildings.
In this article, we’re going to focus on what makes light gauge steel ideal for structural renovations and building extensions but before we do so, let’s take a look at what LGSC has to offer more generally.
- Strength & Durability: Despite being lightweight, cold-formed steel sections offer excellent strength and durability. They are resistant to rot, mold, and pests, making them a reliable choice for construction in the Middle East.
- Speed & Efficiency: The construction process using light gauge steel is faster and more efficient than traditional methods. This is because the pre-fabricated steel sections are easy to handle and assemble on-site, reducing construction time and the resulting mess.
- Sustainability: We strongly believe in the benefits of sustainable building practices and as a widely recyclable and reusable material, steel is certainly one of the more environmentally-friendly building materials. Additionally, the efficiency of light gauge steel construction can reduce energy consumption and waste.
- Design Flexibility: Light gauge steel can be easily customised to suit various architectural and structural design requirements or desires.
- Reduced Labor Costs: The simplicity of construction and lightweight components can lead to cost savings on labor.
Now that you have an overview of light gauge steel construction and its properties, let’s take a closer look at why it is quickly becoming a preferred choice for building extensions:
- Lightweight & Space Efficiency: As the name would suggest, light gauge steel components are lightweight, which makes them far easier to transport than most other building materials. This makes LGSC particularly well-suited for building extensions in areas where space is limited and access to the site is restricted.
- Speed of Construction: Whether residential or commercial, building extensions often require quick completion to minimise disruptions. Light gauge steel components are pre-fabricated and easy to assemble, significantly reducing on-site construction time.
- Compatibility with Existing Structures: Light gauge steel construction can be seamlessly integrated with existing buildings, allowing for flexible design options. What’s more, light gauge steel extensions can be built either on top or on the side of existing buildings, so you can achieve anything that could also be achieved using traditional building materials.
- Minimal Disruption: The construction process with light gauge steel is relatively quiet and clean, reducing disruptions to occupants during the extension project.
- Versatility: It can be used for various types of extensions, such as additional rooms, floors, or entirely new structures attached to the existing building. A number of our more recent LGSC projects have been to lower the height of ceilings to help improve the structure’s energy efficiency and reduce the cost of running ACs.
- Pest & Moisture Resistance: Steel is not susceptible to pests or moisture damage, ensuring any extension remains free from these irritating issues.
All the qualities listed above make light gauge steel frame modular house extensions an excellent choice for building extensions, allowing for efficient, cost-effective, and durable additions to existing structures while minimizing construction-related inconveniences. If you’re thinking about building an extension onto your house and would like to know more, please feel free to email email@example.com or WhatsApp 37400 230. We will be able to guide you through the whole process and ensure everything is made clear; including time-frames and costs.