Al Manaratain has been manufacturing concrete building materials since 1959 and you can find our concrete paving products all over Bahrain, from the Manama souq to the streets of Riffa. We take pride in seeing our interlock paving continue to stand the test of time but while Al Manaratain building materials have always been designed to withstand wear and tear, they are not immune to the effects of time and exposure to the elements.
Proper maintenance is essential for extending the lifespan of all concrete building materials and ensuring that they continue to perform as intended. This goes for all building materials regardless of where you are or who they were bought from. By following a few simple tips, you can help protect your concrete pavers from damage and save money on repairs and replacements.
- Regular inspection and maintenance: Conduct routine inspections of paving to identify any signs of damage or deterioration. Promptly address any issues that are found to prevent them from worsening. The frequency of inspections will vary depending on the type of concrete product, the environment in which it is located, and the level of use it receives, however, as a general rule, concrete products should be inspected at least once a year. More frequent inspections may be necessary in harsh environments or for products that are subject to heavy use, such as interlock concrete pavers used on driveways.
- Protection from the elements: Shield building materials from exposure to harsh weather conditions such as excessive sunlight, rain, and wind. This can be done by using covers or by storing them in a sheltered location. Obviously, this is not always possible, especially in a country like Bahrain where the sun shines brightly throughout the year. It’s worth noting, however, that the sun will have a bleaching effect on coloured materials throughout the years, so be sure to factor this in when planning decorative concrete designs and installations
- Proper cleaning and maintenance: Whenever we’re responsible for fitting our products, Al Manaratain will provide recommendations for cleaning and maintaining concrete paving products. This may involve using specific cleaning solutions or techniques to avoid causing damage. Not every supplier does this (and not every customer pays attention), so if you’re not sure and are looking for advice, feel free to get in touch with some photos and we will make recommendations based on our experience and general best practice.
- Sealants and coatings: As already mentioned, the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays can cause fading, cracking, and deterioration of building materials. Fortunately, sealants and coatings can help to block UV rays, preventing them from causing damage. Sealants and coatings can also help to create a barrier between the concrete and sand, reducing the amount of wear and tear. While you might not think so, corrosion and efflorescence caused by moisture are also something we need to be aware of in the Middle East, and is another thing that the right sealant and coating can help to prevent.
- Avoid overloading: Be mindful of the weight load that building materials are designed to endure and avoid overloading them to prevent damage. There are some artificial stone products, for example, that are decorative and perfect for walking on but will withstand the weight of a car driving over them without sustaining some damage. If you’re not sure whether a material is suitable for any given purpose, feel free to get in touch and we’ll do our best to provide guidance.
Additional Concrete Care & Maintenance Tips:
- Control moisture levels: Use a dehumidifier or other methods to control moisture levels in your home or other structures. This will help prevent mold and mildew growth, which can damage concrete building materials.
- Maintain proper drainage: Ensure that gutters, downspouts, and other drainage systems are functioning properly to prevent water from pooling around and on top of concrete pavers.
- Trim vegetation: Keep shrubs trimmed away from paving stones and slabs to prevent them from rubbing and causing damage. If you see plants growing in between two pavers, consider using a weed killer to prevent them from growing any further
By following these tips, you can help extend the lifespan of concrete paving products and ensure that they continue to perform as intended. If you have any questions regarding any of the points above or thinks there’s a concrete care and maintenance tip we ought to have mentioned but didn’t, please don’t hesitate to contact us.